Main Menu

Upgrading my outdated computer...

Started by humancatpost, January 26, 2012, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humancatpost

I don't like my computer.  It's built with bottom-of-the-line, outdated parts and any new games are probably going to be a no-go for me unless I upgrade the stuff quite a bit.  Now I'm not good with computers, or knowing how to put them together/take them apart, but a few weeks ago I went out and got a new graphics card.  Well, turns out there were more complications, and my power supply wasn't powerful enough to handle it, so I guess there's another thing I need to replace.  So any of you who are in the know about these kinds of things, I would assume that would be Dragon and Cold, please give me some advice for possible part upgrades so I can get a good feel for how much I need to save up for a decent upgrade.  Here are my specs (copied straight from Speccy, cause I don't trust myself):

Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200  @ 2.33GHz  
    Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
Motherboard
    PEGATRON CORPORATION Eureka3 (CPU 1)  
Graphics
    SyncMaster (1920x1200@60Hz)
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 (MSI)  
Hard Drives
    733GB Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (SATA)  
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L ATA Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks   :02.47-tranquillity:
There\'s a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

static2601

How big is your PSU and what is your graphics card. With those specs, I would think you have a decent power supply.

Cold Assassin

The specs you gave me are not what I was hoping for. I need model numbers and such. You need a ATX power supply, maybe 850 Watt. Other then that all you other specs are good.

humancatpost

There\'s a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

DragonMasterNYC

It says it has a 300W power supply. You might want to pop your case open to double check that. It should say the wattage on the side of the Supply.

Good thing is your case is a Mid Size ATX so you might be able to change it without a problem. Only saying this becuase if you get a neewer card you will need more power just for that card. Your old one doesn't need extra power to run, that's right not one pci 6pin on that card.
God's in his Heaven. All's right with the world.

humancatpost

I'm considering just saving up a bit more and getting an all around better computer.  I bought a sub-par graphics card, and even that was a really tight fit.  I would really like more room in there to change my stuff as needed without the worry of there being too little space to add or replace anything.  If I were to get a new machine, what would you recommend?  Don't care about the price range right now, I just want some ideas.

DragonMasterNYC

If you want check out places like I Buy Power and Cyberpower for good builds. I would get a system with at least an:
i7 quad core with a min of 3.0GHz clock
8GB of ram (2x4GB) 1333MHz clock min DDR3
motherboard should have at least 2 USB3 ports, gigabit ethernet, 2 SATA 6.0GBs ports
your video card model shouldn't be more then a year old, at least 1GB of RAM
Solid Sate Drive 120GB for your OS or a 300GB WD VelociRaptor Drive (10,000 RPM)
a 500GB-1TB hard drive for storage
a SATA Bluray burner or DVD/CD RW Combo drive.
power supply depends on your setup.
God's in his Heaven. All's right with the world.