Main Menu

Shutting Down some servers

Started by Cold Assassin, August 08, 2012, 12:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Assassin

Due to recent financial difficulties I am currently facing, I'm looking to shut down some servers. The power bill has hit the roof due to 3 physical servers running along with air-conditioners to cool everything down (due to summer heat). Long story short the electricity bill is about $250+ a month more.

The current servers I host are as follows:

Web Site (forums) - Server 1
Minecraft RPG (20 slots) - 4GB Ram -  Server 2
Minecraft Creative (20 slots) - 2GB Ram - Server 2
Gmod - Server 3
Terraria - Server 3
TF2 capture  - Server 3
Killing Floor - Server 3

The vent is a lifetime server so no worries.

What I am asking is what servers should we keep and what servers should we do away with. If we decide to keep the servers, I would like to get price quotes on renting the servers (artofwar or something similar). I already know we can get rid of some of these servers, and considering the electricity is so high, just renting the servers is way cheaper then paying $250+ a month. Adjust the slots due to the fact I know some servers are never full. My limiit for one month would be ~$70.

Thank you for understanding in these tough times.

Cold Assassin

lulks

I don't think anyone plays on the Terraria or Gmod server.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

Bighead2496

the terraria and g mod servers no one uses. im not sure alot of people use the tf2 caputre server so you might beable to rent that one, i dont play killing floor but im sure alot of people do so im not going to say anything about that, and the creative servere hasnt been used in so long no one uses it, the only reason people arent using the rpg server is because of the update, but yeah renting them out seems to be the better option for now, another thing you could do, open up a donation pay pal or something of the sort, i means were all in this clan we should all share some reasponsiblity of the servers. but thats just what i think.

DamonRageDevil

These guys have it down,the Terraria server and Gmod server seem to be completely deserted.
Still Norwegian, still...err...something that rhymes with Norwegian.

Chipawok

I think that most of the games on the third server arent ever used, I for one never use them. But the creative minecraft server has a lot of good memories on it... If you do decide to do away with it, I suggest giving away the world for download, so that we can still save some of the builds that are on it. As for the the Rpg minecraft server, once it is updated, it will be almost always full. Maybe renting off that would be a good idea, then that only leaves the Forums.
I still sign because of Peer Pressure...

static2601

Well the forums gotta stay, Ill host it on my web server if need be, Minecraft Rpg must stay as well. the other servers are never full, Tf2 cp i never see anyone in there, Minecraft creativity is really not needed. Terreria server, gmod and killing floor im not sure about but i don't think anyone plays there. Also, I have another TF2 server that i haven't been using for anything but running test maps and other shit. We could move another server there.

Trinity

Definitely keep the forum and Minecraft RPG. You can get a Minecraft server from Art of War with 12 players for $10 a month. Not sure how much it would be for double the players. I'd say at least around $25 a month.
I don\'t poke the puppy. I poke the poopy.  

Soda

Maybe add donor to the MK with benefits like adding effects to hats. That'll make some kids beg their parents to crack open their wallets.
Also I've see the hat effect mod on other servers.
Whoever snuck SCP-504 into the cafeteria kitchen is getting terminated. Those tomato slices are like fucking shuriken. - Dr. Blast

MegaSuperGeneral

This format is an order of keeping servers, the gray area servers and servers to drop.
keep servers
    My advice is we should keep the website due to it being a vital tool  to the UA operation, the website also provides     information allows  us another way to stay in contact with each other.

I recommend keeping  Minecraft RPG because it is highly use. However you could cut down on the number cap, If     necessary.

maybe keep servers

TF2 capture I really like this server however I do see the realism in that server rarely has anybody in it.

Terraria I don't really know much about it but… the one time that I was in there, there was a lot of people.

Minecraft Creative I don't really know anything about it .

Drop these servers.

Killing floor and Gmod I think hardly have anybody in them,

Gmod is sometimes clearly a train wreck .

I hope this input was very useful.

Other things that could be done are premium or a VIP paid membership,  competition teaches us anything sometimes people are willing to put down  the dollar just so they have the upper hand.

DuskKing

Forums must stay. No arguments there.

I think the MC RPG is a definite must, though I've never seen it full since I've joined UA, and as already stated, could probably be cut down in player slots without too many complaints.

If the Minecraft Creative world goes down, then if it's possible, perhaps a world file could be created for people who had made stuff in it. I know from experience that it's almost disappointing to have your creations get deleted with no backups. Although it might be that people don't use it to the point that they no longer care about any creations.

TF2 Capture.....well let's put it this way, I thought it had already been shut down.

Terraria I know people visit once in a while but it seems pretty scarce to me.

Killing Floor and Gmod I can't speak for, but based on the above comments, it seems as if they aren't too popular.

My two cents~