Main Menu

Feed The Beast Server

Started by Chipawok, December 31, 2012, 02:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chipawok

Thanks for the offer trinity, but i was mostly just asking if people were still interested in playing on it. Then again... maybe the reason some people aren't n is because my server wasn't 24/7. If you wish to transfer the world file then I can do that, probably just pm the file to you, but maybe if your hosting it a new world would be nice (and with a different pack to get rid of gregstech). I guess it depends on what everyone else wants.  Keep my old world and pack, or make a new one with a different mod pack?
I still sign because of Peer Pressure...

Trinity

Well you could do another poll to see what people want. You should be able to disable gregtech fairly easily with the FtB launcher. I've never used Gregtech. I know some like it and some don't. If I'm going to temporarily host your world I'll let it be your decision.
I don\'t poke the puppy. I poke the poopy.  

Inquisitor Delo

I'm ok with anything, so long as the server is up. But I would prefer no gregtech.
=][= Exitus Acta Probat =][=

DragonMasterNYC

Quote from: Inquisitor Delo;7742I'm ok with anything, so long as the server is up. But I would prefer no gregtech.
Gregtech was ticking me off and I've been in a single player world for a week now learning the ins and outs of Minecrack.

I would like to put together a mod pack just for us with a few different mods. Some of them are really unneeded like Gregtech, Portal mod (Lags the hell out of people Trintiy being a victim of it on the server.), Trains...

If a mod pack can be made to fit our needs, I may just replace our main server with FTB since It's not so much to take care of (No plugins devs to deal with besides the mod makers), just a simple Backup and Whitelist setup.
God's in his Heaven. All's right with the world.

Chipawok

Actually Dragon, I think that's the best idea so far. Making a pack is actually quite simple, so long as we know exactly what we want and can do without. I may not be able to really host anymore, but i can definatly help out anyway I can. To start off with, we can start off with finding a better pack (probably direwolf's) then while still in the launcher go to edit mod pack. From there you can add or remove any mod you want, and the launcher will deal with incompatibility for you. As for the server side of things, I might need to look into that a bit further, but shouldnt be much more difficult. Then we can post a list of the mods that need to be added or removed so people can connect.

Trinity

That sounds like a good idea.

lulks

Sounds awesome Dragon! I absolutely HATE what Gregtech does to Industrialcraft 2's base recipes, and how it messes with the Forge Ore dictionary.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

Chipawok

If we go with the direwolf pack, then we should have all of our wants met. The portal shouldnt be an issue, since it involves killing the wither to get it. If you do want to get rid of it its simply going into the config files and setting the gun and other blocks in the mod to false. Not to painful to fix.

Also, if this is going to be a thing, can we get an ETA for when it comes out? I finally fixed my computer enough to play again, and am really looking forward to an official ua ftb server.

DragonMasterNYC

Well for I have been checking more out about the way FTB works and private packs still haven't been implemented the way they are suppose to. My understanding on the server side of things would be for the server is to just pull the zip or jar files out of the mod folder, then tell everyone to just edit their packs to remove the same ones. (I found out if you start a world with something enabled and those block or item IDs are in use once you save you have to go back with the same mods enabled, or your game will not be able to load the world.)

I'm gonna start in the Direwolf pack see how things go from there if anything it should be faster to get up the tech latter. I can always load a server, but I don't know how much ram is left over on that server to add a new one. I think between Assassin and I we maxed it out, I would have to check. I'm also in the process of moving so it could take a little time.

--- Update ---

I do have 1 question for everyone though, If I put up a poll to shut down the Bukkit server will people be willing to replace it with FTB. It won't have the same permission system so it will be whitelisted, as for protection it will only work against mobs from what I can understand, I will have to look further into protection. I will say this if we go to a full on FTB server we won't have to wait more then a day to update since there are no plugins to deal with.
God's in his Heaven. All's right with the world.

Trinity

I currently have a server using Direworld20's modpack. I added only two extra mods as per a request from someone. When joining my server it is done through the FTB launcher. It doesn't have the level of security that bukkit servers have so I'm hoping whitelisting works out well.  You do have the option of disabling creeper damage to the world and only causing damage to players. You can allow players to keep their inventory if they die. I think there are a couple of other built in commands such as one that affects mob drops.

Chipawok

Im sure you know my answer to this, Dragon. We have been doing the same stuff on the same world for over a year. Its about time for a change. Im not saying to get rid of the world, though. I do have quite a lot on there i would like to keep, but being able to update the normal world to ftb would be fantastic. Btw, I did manage a temporary fix for my laptop (involving a bit of duct tape...) so I should be able to play at least a bit.

Trinity

As old as our current world is it might be difficult to update it to FtB because of finding the necessary resources for machines to be built. We would have to travel great distances just to find resources.

Chipawok

Well, Trinity, the direwolf pack hast MystCraft in it... So we would be able to create a completely separate world solely for mining and getting materials. We would just have to disable the crafting recipes so that regular users cant abuse the books and generate a bunch and overload the server. Make the books something you can only get in creative, or as an admin.

lulks

I think that would be a good idea Chip. Linking books should be able to be made by everyone, but descriptive books should be restricted. A world dedicated to mining would be a nice touch too, since it would restrict tunneling in the overworld, and it it would be a lot easier to get resources.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

Chipawok

I hope this topic hasn't died, still lookig  forward to an eta on the update

Lil_tankk

I need to get back on minecrack but Star Wars the old republic is so good

Trinity

Yes, Tankk. You do need to get back on minecrack. We have cookies.