Main Menu

Vote: Give the Underground Tunnels A Minecraft Makeover

Started by Turboplant, September 28, 2011, 04:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turboplant

I'm just mulling over what cool stuff could be done to the map, first thing that came to mind was change the world beneath our feet!

I understand the reality of the two art styles clashing, but I'm really just here to collect popular opinion.

--- Update ---

I think "Dirt Block" would be best, or it could be Stone on the blue side and Dirt for the red side. /shrugs

Bighead2496

humancatpost

Stone and random ore.  Some dirt and gravel around.  Speed boosts are either small portals or booster rails.  Middle room is a dungeon full of diamonds.
There\'s a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

Turboplant

Haha, what if it went form "mario_kart" to "mine_kart?"

Oh the humanity.

--- Update ---

Quote from: humancatpost;1178Stone and random ore.  Some dirt and gravel around.  Speed boosts are either small portals or booster rails.  Middle room is a dungeon full of diamonds.
Sounds good so far!
And no sense in not playing with the geometry of the room, while we're at it....

Soda

What about a few blocks that can be broken, like the entrance of the tunnel when it's not been mined out?
Whoever snuck SCP-504 into the cafeteria kitchen is getting terminated. Those tomato slices are like fucking shuriken. - Dr. Blast

Turboplant

Quote from: Soda;1184What about a few blocks that can be broken, like the entrance of the tunnel when it's not been mined out?

I've seen that done before, but this thread isn't really about a complete re-do of the tunnel, or interaction with the map; just mostly aesthetic stuff.

DragonMasterNYC

It's been spoken about, but nothing was ever done. It would be a nice change to the underground.

Well this is some of the textures we use in our server for now.

God's in his Heaven. All's right with the world.

static2601

Quote from: Turboplant;1175I'm just mulling over what cool stuff could be done to the map, first thing that came to mind was change the world beneath our feet!

I understand the reality of the two art styles clashing, but I'm really just here to collect popular opinion.

--- Update ---

I think "Dirt Block" would be best, or it could be Stone on the blue side and Dirt for the red side. /shrugs

--- Update ---

Quote from: Turboplant;1175I'm just mulling over what cool stuff could be done to the map, first thing that came to mind was change the world beneath our feet!

--- Update ---

Nice idea. I was thinking about doing something like that but I'd kinda like to keep it mario then have the minecraft area be separate like it is. But this is only my opinion and I'd like to think of MarioKart as a community map, so voice your ideas and maybe ill add em. And since we're on the subject, we could add minecraft chests as health lockers, nether portals as teleports or even minecraft glass to replace all the windows. Just a thought.

humancatpost

There\'s a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

Undreamt Hippo

Well, if you're going to do different textures for each team's side, you could do lapis lazuli for BLU and redstone for RED.

Turboplant

Quote from: Undreamt Hippo;1307Well, if you're going to do different textures for each team's side, you could do lapis lazuli for BLU and redstone for RED.
But then everything gets overwhelmed by the cool-colored stone. despite being interrupted by Redstone particles, a stone wall still looks pretty BLU.

DragonMasterNYC

Quote from: Turboplant;1312But then everything gets overwhelmed by the cool-colored stone. despite being interrupted by Redstone particles, a stone wall still looks pretty BLU.
This is true.

What about the stone, but every so often put in ore like diamond/lapis for the blue side and redstone ore for red. Nothing to crazy though just every few meters.

Also what about making the push tunnels out of glass panes.

humancatpost

Diamond +lapis = blu

Redstone + Gold = red

I guess coal could be blue and iron red.

Undreamt Hippo

Yea, I didn't think of that, it would be pretty distracting. I think DragonMaster's idea or just stone would be good.

Also, what would happen with the box room?
Would the boxes get Minecraft textures too, or would they just stay how they are?

DragonMasterNYC

Quote from: Undreamt Hippo;1318Yea, I didn't think of that, it would be pretty distracting. I think DragonMaster's idea or just stone would be good.

Also, what would happen with the box room?
Would the boxes get Minecraft textures too, or would they just stay how they are?
I don't know really since that was built with a Mario look.

If static is going to make any changes then he could make those blocks like we are in a cave, but that's up to him if he really wants to make the changes.

Turboplant

Quote from: DragonMasterNYC;1337I don't know really since that was built with a Mario look.

If static is going to make any changes then he could make those blocks like we are in a cave, but that's up to him if he really wants to make the changes.

Yeah, I really only intended for this to be a hypothetical situation. I have no say what goes into a map, but peer review is always good.

DragonMasterNYC

Quote from: Turboplant;1343Yeah, I really only intended for this to be a hypothetical situation. I have no say what goes into a map, but peer review is always good.
I've always used it to drive development of anything I work on.

I'm sure when static has time he may just make a new map, but like always that's the problem time itself. Sometimes I wonder what went wrong with the world 90% of the world doesn't even need to work. We have an easy way to sustain the world population, but everything in this world at this time revolves around money.

humancatpost

Speaking of Peer Review, are we on for Portal 2 today Static?