Main Menu

TF2 Key giveaway

Started by Nuro, May 15, 2013, 12:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuro

I had to cancel because the server was lagging too  much (damage not registering for 1-2 seconds, explosions often not  working correctly, certain sounds not happening, text chat messages  taking forever to display to people, voice chat being choppy to the  point of being incomprehensible). I was hoping the server would get  better, but after 1.5 hours of it being like this (and 2 resets) I don't  think that will be the case. It doesn't seem like the event would be  particularly fun given the current state of the server (and I don't want  anyone trying to dredge through this just to try to get a key), so I  think it would be best to possibly reschedule.

I'll be trying to reschedule for sometime in the future: I could either do one  sooner or wait until Christmas and do something larger; I'll be  traveling soon, though, so that means "sooner" won't be until early  August most likely. Let me know if one would be preferable.
When I redo this I'll be starting at key #1 again. And hopefully the server won't completely derp out.

To try to make it up for people who were  expecting this event: if you left a post in this thread before I made  this edit and haven't gotten a key from me, send me a message on Steam or the forum and I'll give you a  key.

On a less friendly note: Art of War (the server provider) sucks ass and  has no idea how to keep a TF2 server running properly. Seriously, no  idea why we even deal with these morons given how damn incompetent  they've shown themselves to be over the past few months. If anyone asks  you about game server providers, be sure to tell them to NEVER go with Art of War.

(Outdated) Info:

So I am posting some more official, easy-to-read info for this event:

Event: (40) Key Give-away
Date: Saturday, June 15th
Time: 10 AM - 10 PM  (USA Eastern Standard Time)
How it works: At unknown times throughout the 12-hour time period I will  generate a random number between 1 and the number of people on red team  plus the number on blue team. This player number on the scoreboard will  receive a key. This will continue until I run out of keys.
Proof: For those who think I might be joking, here's a link to my Steam backpack...
http://steamcommunity.com/id/nurotasama/inventory#440
BONUS 1: If this thread gets posts from  at least 20 different people before the event, the total number of keys  given out will double to 80.
BONUS 2:
[Requirements listed if BONUS 1 is met.]

Original Post:
QuoteMy birthday is next month and I'd like to do something for it. I  don't really like receiving gifts, nor do I think it's really  appropriate for me to do so -- being born isn't a reason for me to be  given things. Rather, I really would like my existence to at least  create some sort of a net positive.

So for my birthday this year, on Saturday June 15, for people who are actively on the UA TF2 24/7 MK server at the time on that day, I will be randomly giving away (at least) 40 random TF2 keys to random people at random times... randomly. And that's as many as four tens!

Now, the problem is in determining how to randomly decide who gets a  key. I am thinking of just using a pseudo-random number generator to...  well, create a set of pseudo random numbers! I'd be keeping them to  myself, but one would determine the time of the individual key give-away  and the next one would determine the player # on the scoreboard who  gets the key.

Do people have any other ideas of how to randomly assign keys without it being unfair?
[/COLOR]

Doctor Who

by not giving them to popo, that's one.

Nuro

Oh, and if people show enough interest in this I'll consider upping that to 80. So post if you're interested!

leviathan

Hmm... very interesting.
To be truly sane, one must first be insane.

Poke yo face

Quote from: Nuro;9195Oh, and if people show enough interest in this I'll consider upping that to 80. So post if you're interested!

Holy crap Nuro! did you rob a bank or something? jk

stewartlittle327

dammit i wish i coulda saw thiscause i would hed a couple people i know put into this.

Nuro

Sorry, not really too sure what you meant by that.

* is pretty terrible at interpretting more abstract phrases like "put into this" * X3

leviathan

So you will be basing it on the amount of points each player would have at the random time?
To be truly sane, one must first be insane.

Tetra

I wonder how it will turn out when we get to that point.

royce212

Sounds fun, I'm in. 80 though? That means I'm pretty much guaranteed a few if this hits 20.

Nuro

Quote from: leviathan;9220So you will be basing it on the amount of points each player would have at the random time?

At the time of each key giveout I'll be using Wolfram Alpha to get a random number. I will then go from top scoring player to bottom, and whoever is the nth highest scoring player at the time gets a key. It's just to ensure unbiased statistical randomness.

Quote from: royce212;9233Sounds fun, I'm in. 80 though? That means I'm pretty much guaranteed a few if this hits 20.

If this thread gets posts by 20 different people then, yes, there will be 80 keys total. I can easily add another 40 keys to my inventory as soon as that is the case.

Silent Muffin

Caring, Giving, even Delicious ^_^
Be Sure to pick up your VERY OWN Santa Muffin while they\'re on Sale! It makes a GREAT holiday gift for the ones you care about, as well as proves to them that they\'re actually worth something in life! (Seriously, some people have that problem). Hurry Though! As we only have a limited amount, and will only be on sale until Christmas!
ORDER NOW!!!!

Soda

If I can get the map working, I'd be in.
Whoever snuck SCP-504 into the cafeteria kitchen is getting terminated. Those tomato slices are like fucking shuriken. - Dr. Blast

static2601

Soda, try deleting all your mariokart_dm_summer_beta1b named maps, then re download. Make sure you get them all, I had the map in 3 different places. also delete ones with bsp.bz2 on them or zip. I was able to re download it after that. I never got that engine error, could you post that error?

Lil_tankk

I like it

We are a legion

--- Update ---

I say yes 1million times

We are a legion

Soda

Quote from: static2601;9256Soda, try deleting all your mariokart_dm_summer_beta1b named maps, then re download. Make sure you get them all, I had the map in 3 different places. also delete ones with bsp.bz2 on them or zip. I was able to re download it after that. I never got that engine error, could you post that error?
I moved the entire Steam directory back to my Program Files and it works properly. I think the reason it ran out of space is because I buried it under 4 folders. Thanks anyway
Whoever snuck SCP-504 into the cafeteria kitchen is getting terminated. Those tomato slices are like fucking shuriken. - Dr. Blast

Nuro

I am still going to be doing this if anyone was wondering. Just might be a few mins late. :p

--- Update ---

Going to have to cancel and reschedule because Art of War has no idea how to keep a server running and can go suck so many bags of dicks.

static2601

Whats the problem now?

Nuro

What I said in the first post:
Quotedamage not registering for 1-2 seconds, explosions  often not  working correctly, certain sounds not happening, text chat  messages  taking forever to display to people, voice chat being choppy  to the  point of being incomprehensible
[/COLOR]

The server's control panel was also taking forever to load according to Tetra.

SakanaSama

sorry that it didn't work out. it sounded amazing. definitely let me know when it will be again and I'll try to bring a few friends to fill out the server.

static2601

Quote from: Nuro;9461What I said in the first post:

The server's control panel was also taking forever to load according to Tetra.

Well your first post was a month ago, when were you getting problems? Im having no problems loading the control panel and dont see any problems in the server itself.